This is it!

Monday, January 16, 2012

Home at last!

There's nothing like a trip to a foreign land with strange customs and a language that's difficult to understand (South Carolina) that makes you appreciate home with all it's comforts and amenities. Jake and I left on Thursday morning last week early to go see my Dad in Spartanburg. Due to a slight scheduling miscalculation we got to spend the night in the beautiful Detroit metro area just as a snow storm was rolling in. They speak a foreign tongue there too.  We were ordering lunch and someone asked me if I wanted a seeyalid when all I wanted was a burger. 

 We met Todd and Darrell in SC at the airport the next morning and drove on in to see him. We got to visit a few people, take care of some repairs, and shop a little. I drove all over town and didn't get lost once. My initials should be GPS.  Darrell got to see his Dad and Ma-Maw's rocking chair, ride in several different airplanes, and eat out all weekend.  He was in heaven.  Todd and I managed to fix Dad's TV on Saturday after so many trips to Walmart that I lost count.  He hasn't been able to watch football for a year since lightning struck and a power surge took out his analog to digital converter box.  So at least he can see the Superbowl now.  After a relaxing, fun filled 36 hours we were at the airport again on Sunday morning and on the way home. 

The flight from Detroit to SLC was in a 757 and it was completely full.  It was almost 4 hours long and by the time we were down to the last hour it was really hot on that plane.  Jake started feeling a little sick I'm sure from the heat and lack of fresh air.  He made it all the way to SLC and we were standing waiting to get off the plane before he lost it. He's a much more dignified puker than I am; especially on a plane.  At least he didn't miss the bag; and I'll say no more.  We had a 3 hour layover waiting to continue on to Pasco and he started to get some the color back in his face. He was so worn out that he slept for most of the waiting in the airport and the entire flight to Pasco from SLC; poor guy.  We were both glad to get home.

Jake and I both decided that we don't want to go anywhere for awhile. Right now staying home sounds pretty darn good. I've decided that I really love the blowing dust and tumbleweeds, the inversion that robs us of sunshine for most of the winter, the lack of freakishly crazy people and rush hour, summers that are perfect for riding a motorcycle for months at a time with no rain, mountains that are really just glacier formed hills of piled up dirt, and infinite numbers of goatheads.  Yep, there's no place like home!

1 comment:

  1. What a trip!! Poor Jakey Poo. I definitely love home too. I hope I will love wherever Travis and I end up as much as I have grown to love Richland.

    ReplyDelete